Comfortable, rustic standard. 3 bedrooms. 8 beds. Kitchen, living room, bathroom, balcony, large terrace and garden. The house is approx. 140 m².
- Well-equipped kitchen
- Wireless internet
- Washing machine
- CD player/radio
- Stereo for mp3 player
- Comfortable beds
- Bed linens, towels and housekeeping can be arranged
Rates from € 600
to € 1000
Vico Pancellorum, Garfagnana and the surrounding areas
The property is situated on the edge of a walnut and chestnut forest where you can explore the many trekking, fishing and hunting opportunities in the area. By the river, which is close to the house, you find a roman bridge and a waterfall with crystal clear water – perfect for a swim. Walking here from the house takes 5-10 minutes. You will also find that these surroundings provide a good habitat for mushrooms. Hiking is an activity you will enjoy in this beautiful landscape and due to the many villages that are close at hand.
The Lima river has warmer waters. Walking here from the house with a towel on your shoulders takes aproximately 20 minutes on the Roman road. En route a rather unknown surprise awaits.
Romans and ravioli - Vico Pancellorum
The small village of Vico Pancellorum is typically Tuscan. The houses are built along the steep hillside that leads to one of the tallest mountains in Tuscany. Beautiful houses, small piazzas, narrow alleys and small plantations of grapevines are characteristic features of the village. Vico Pancellorum has two catholic churches from the medieval ages, a grocery store, a coffee shop and a restaurant. With its array of well-prepared dishes, the restaurant draws large crowds from the nearby villages. You will enjoy the creative cuisine of the chef, Enrico and the excellent service of the waitress, Luisa. The menu is open for alterations as the owner, Giovanna, welcomes requests providing you inform the staff well in advance. The local inhabitants are warm, kind and friendly.
Spa, ski, sea or Siena? The surrounding areas and Tuscany
The nearest sizeable village (approx. 10 km away) is the beautiful Bagni di Lucca which was one of the most prominent and prestigious health spa locations for distinguished Europeans during the 19th century. In today’s modern spa establishment, Terme, the health spa culture is still very much alive. You will also find nice outdoor swimming pool facilities surrounded by beautiful Tuscan nature. Bagni di Lucca also offers several other activities, i.e. several tennis courts. Banks, post offices, supermarkets and a range of cafes and restaurants are also to be found in the village.
The Garfagnana region is, thus far, one of the least explored tourist areas of Tuscany. Those who are well familiar with Tuscany, characterize this region as the best of the genuine Tuscany. Representing one of the regions many prides, the city Barga is worth mentioning. With its many music festivals, its rich history and cultural heritage the city is well worth a visit.
In Vico Pancellorum you will find that the rest of Tuscany is within a comfortable distance. You can reach most of the places that make Tuscany so unique within an hour. To mention a few; Florence, Pisa, Lucca and the beautiful beach in Versilla. If a visit to Siena, Cortona, San Gimignano, Arezzo, Chianti or Cinque Terre is on the agenda, you can reach all these places in 1,5 to 2 hours. Considering Italy’s extensive network of roads and freeways, Rome, Venice, Milan and Monaco are actually no further than 3-4 hours away.
In Abetone, situated approx. 29 km from Vico Pancellorum, you find a large winter sports centre. The centre provides its visitors with a selection of 30 lifts, several of which are gondolas. The season lasts from the beginning of December to the middle of April.
A selection of experiences:
In Vico Pancellorum:
- Ask the restaurant hosts to prepare a characteristic 3-4 course meal. What about wild boar as main dish? Exciting, tasty, and affordable.
- Go swimming in the Lima river. The idyllic waters are surrounded by green hills and majestetic trees. With a towel on your shoulders, the walk from the house on the Roman road takes approx. 20 minutes minutes.
- Experience the village by foot. Vico Pancellorum has numerous picturesque buildings, streets, and squares.
- Take a stroll in the grapevine plantations.
- Rent bicycles at the restaurants. The restaurant staff can provide shuttle service to the main road if desired.
- Play Boccia at the restaurant's own course.
- Discover the river close to the house and the beautiful bridge and the ruins around.
- Go hiking in the area. What about an excurtion to the neighbouring village Limano?
- Stroll along the antique, Roman road, La Cornice. En route a rather unknown treasure awaits.
- Explore the Roman ruins.
- Sign the book on top of Balzo Nero.
- Experience the lights in the villages's beautiful cemetary in the evening.
The surronding areas:
- Visit Lucchio or on of the other villages close by. The ruins from fra Lucchio's old fort is the perfect location for a lazy piquenique with a view.
- Consult the map and choose an alternative route to Florence.
- Make a random detour from the main road. You are likely to discover something memorable.
- Hang-gliding close to Bagni di Lucca.
- Spa or outdoor swimming in Bagni di Lucca.
- Dinner at the legendaric "Circolo dei Forestieri" in Bagni di Lucca.
- Rafting i the Lima river.
- Explore Serchio-valley with Grotta del Vento (The wind's cave) and Barga.
- See Lucca from the bicycle seat on the top of the city walls.
- Experience Puccini's world famous operas in the composer's home city, Lucca. There are numeruos theathers and venues, and the tourist office of Lucca will help you choose.
Tuscany in general:
The possibilities are almost infinite, and extensively presented in guidebooks. Nevertheless we would like to point out some of our personal favourites.
- Rent a scooter and explore Chianti and the Volterra district.
- Go hiking between the vineyards in Chianti.
- Spend a night in Florence or Siena, and experience the almost magical evening atmosphere.
- Take the children to the Pinocchio Park or Zoological Gardens of Pistoia.
- Experience the Cinque Terre by foot. Park the car in Monterosso al Mare og stroll southwards in the wonderful scenery. In all the beautiful villages you can take the train or a boat back to your car.
For more information contact one of the numerous tourist offices in the region. You will also find a lot of information online, but no single site is exhaustive. www.enit.it is one of the better sites.
A selection of good restaurants:
- Buca di Baldabo. (Telephone +39058389062) Vico Pancellorum's own restaurant is in all its wonderful simplicity our obvious favourite. Fantastic food and service.
- La Mora. This discreet Michelin star restaurant is a hidden treasure. It is to be found between Vico Pancellorum and Lucca.
- Tenuta di San Pietro. Oslo's best Italian restaurant, Baltazar has a sibling in the Lucca province. Star chef Dag Tjersland owns and runs this fantastic place. Lunch in the sunset here is hard to forget. Tenuta di San Pietro is situated between Vico Pancellorum and Lucca. High prices.
- Circolo dei Forestieri in Bagni di Lucca. This legendaric establishment still has its characteristic style and class. Both lunch and supper can be enjoyed at the pleasant terrace.
- Osteria Via San Giorgio. Via San Giorgio 26, Lucca centre. This restaurant in the heart of Lucca is likely to seduce anyone. Italians dine at 8 pm, so arrive at 7.30 pm to be sure to get a table outside.
Remember: The more Italians in a restaurant, the better food. Many tourists often indicate low quality and/or high prices.
|Bagni di Lucca ||12 km
||Pisa ||57 km
||Bologna ||115 km
||Venice ||320 km
||Viareggio/ coast ||60 km
||Milan ||320 km
|Lucca ||35 km
||Florence ||77 km
||Abetone ||28 km
||Cinque Terre ||90 km
||Rome ||350 km
||Nice ||390 km
The property, Practical, Photo gallery, Contact/reservation